Fun Facts and Data About Labor Day
Monday, September 4th, 2023 is Labor Day and it is a federal holiday celebrated in the United States, often signifying the end of summer with barbeques, picnics, and mini vacations before the start of the school year.
Here are 10 Labor Day Facts from Forbes magazine:
- The holiday officially began in Canada in 1872, but swiftly found its way to the United States. It began as a significant demonstration demanding workers’ rights.
- The first Labor Day in the United States was Tuesday, September 5, 1882 in New York City, planned by Central Labor Union and included a parade of about 10,000 workers. A brief history of Labor Day can be found here.
- In 1887, Oregon was the first state to make Labor Day a holiday.
- In June of 1894, Congress passed legislation making the first Monday in September of each year a legal holiday in the District of Columbia and the territories.
- Each year we celebrate the contributions and achievements of American women and men who make up the United States workforce.
- By the late 1800s, workers averaged 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, to make a basic living and children as young as 5 were in the work force, toiling in factories and mines.
- The 8-hour work day was established with the Adamson Act in 1916. This was the first law regulating working hours in private companies.
- Other facts are less serious and related to fashion and customers, for example, traditionally people did not wear white after Labor Day.
- Football traditionally starts around Labor Day weekend.
- Labor day is the last official day of summer vacation before the start of the school year.
So, enjoy the last big hurrah of summer with family and friends!
But don’t forget, if you’re sending kids back to school you may find yourself involved in school and fundraising efforts, you may want to consider Inspire.World as your fundraising partner. And to serve you -- our clients and potential clients better – Inspire.World has spent time improving and simplifying our fundraising offering. We recognize that many individuals charged with fundraising for their child’s sports or activities are very busy people. We know you want a fundraising solution that is simple and effective.
Our newly, robust online shopping site offers more everyday household products for your friends and family to shop for their daily needs and at the same time have 50% of the profit go to your cause. We’ve built an e-commerce platform that offers more than 25,000 products at a good value and always with free shipping. Let us help you fundraise for your team sport!